Monday, October 11, 2010

Trivia at Wonderland Ballroom

Shockingly, AT&T works on the platform of Metro Center. Just as I was about to step onto the train to head home after work (oh, you had Columbus Day off? I'm pretty sure only the federal government deems it a holiday), my brother called to invite me to trivia night at Wonderland Ballroom.

I'd heard about the place for years but never been. Walking from Columbia Heights metro, it's on the corner of 11th and Kenyon, past a school soccer field and just kind of off by itself in the middle of a pretty residential area. The first floor is a small bar w/ patio outside. The second floor is where the magic is supposed to happen. 

Wonderland Ballroom
Now, I love Jeopardy as much as I next guy, and I do my share of crosswords -- in ink, just as my father taught me -- but this was NOT easy. The categories were so obscure, things like "serial killers," "sports teams that have relocated," "zombies," and "9/11." I must say, wasn't a huge fan of that last one being used in any way for anything that is supposed to be the least bit entertaining. My team was saved by my brother's friend who has only lived in Washington for a years but must study statues obsessively. We got 10 out of 10 on the picture trivia round, where we had to match up D.C. statues with their names (thankfully, we didn't have to conjure the names from scratch; they were listed on the sheet.) We were tied for first place after the first few rounds, then went down to 4th. But this gives me incentive to try again! It's all about the categories...if only there was one on geography or literature or something I knew about!

The place serves an eclectic menu including such run-of-the-mill items as burgers and chicken sandwiches and many many beer options (I asked what wines they had...they were in a box), in addition to gazpacho and believe this - fried pickles! It was ALMOST like I was sitting at Cotham's adjacent to the State Capitol with the Beebe girls. I couldn't get over my luck at finding this pure deliciousness I will forever associate with Little Rock in D.C.

Fried pickles -- and even better, spears, not chips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment