Monday, October 11, 2010

Great Falls

Spent part of a perfect fall weekend hiking the Billy Goat Trail and the towpath at Great Falls, something I hadn't done but once or so in the past several years.

Observations:
1) I don't know why I didn't do this more often as a child. I guess I didn't really discover hiking until traveling through Chile and moving to the Natural State (Arkansas).

2) It's rather hard to believe that the C&O Canal National Historical Park is only 10 or so miles from the middle of the city. I felt like I was somewhere else completely. There are no city buildings or streets in sight or traffic within hearing distance. Was an incredibly pleasant and peaceful way to spend a Sunday. Kind of like many a weekend at Pinnacle. I just might have found my new little haven.

Near the trailhead close to the Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center and Old Angler's Inn

C&O Canal

The Potomac

Love covered bridges

Pretty little house

View from the towpath

A heron eating a fish

My favorite scene of the day...beautiful, stoic heron

No comments:

Post a Comment