Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy 5771!

It seems fitting that I'm starting a new chapter in life just as we celebrate the beginning of a new Jewish year. In years past, I often have come home to join my family for Rosh Hashanah, but it was different to be here for the holiday, now that this actually IS my home.
Apples and honey for a sweet new year
Figs for the fall season from my cousins' garden
Round challah to symbolize the cycle of the seasons of a year
My cousins Gail and Bob always bring something special to their holiday table, a message that each of their guests can take with them and reflect upon later. I thought today's was particularly meaningful, and I've copied it below:

We cannot merely pray to end war:
For we know that the world is made in such a way
That man must find his own path to peace
Within himself and with his neighbor.


We cannot merely pray t o end starvation:
For we already have the resources
WIth which to feed the entire world,
If we would only use them wisely.


We cannot merely pray to root out prejudice:
For we already have eyes
With which to see the good in all men
If we would only use them rightly.


We cannot merely pray to end despair:
For we already have the power
To clear away slums and to give hope
If we would only use our power justly.


We cannot merely pray to end disease:
For we already have great minds
With which to search out cures and healings
If we would only use them constructively.


Therefore we pray
For strength, determination, and willpower,
To do instead of just pray,
To become instead of merely to wish,
That our land may be safe
And that our lives may be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great message! Did they write it themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They actually didn't, and I would have cited the source, had I known it. I think they found it somewhere online. Beautiful, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete