Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Washingtonian again

Five years ago, I left my native Washington to brave the Midwest. A product of the Maryland suburbs, I had become a proud Georgetown Hoya. But after graduating in 2005, I decided it was time to see more of this country. So, I spent the next year and a half in Columbia, Missouri, followed by the next almost four years in Little Rock, Arkansas. Neither were places that even a few months before graduating, I ever would have imagined I'd live. And now, at almost 27, I've come full circle and I'm back in D.C.

I started writing a blog in Little Rock with the intention of sharing the many wonderful cultural, culinary and outdoor experiences I had there. I found that I needed a way to record these precious and unique moments, as well as had a craving to share them with others. As the blog developed, it became clear that I had two primary audiences -- friends in Little Rock who found it amusing that I found things so common to them amusing, and friends from the East Coast who couldn't get enough of my Southern activities and experiences, which often seemed quite foreign and unusual to them. My goal was never to forget the things I learned and the memories I gained while I was there, as well as to introduce people who had perhaps never visited Arkansas to what a wonderful and often hidden treasure it is.

So, now it's time to start a blog on Washington. While it's true that I spent my first 21 years in the area, I've never lived here as an adult (college absolutely does not count as adult life). I anticipate this blog will become sort of a log of my re-learning and re-discovering D.C., both as a former suburbanite who grew up in the sweet and protective towns on the periphery, and as a former college student obsessed with Georgetown but also always aware that D.C. had so much more to offer beyond its non-Metro-accessible borders.

Visit often - and don't forget to keep an eye on the old blog as well. When inspiration strikes, I'll still post to Small Town, Little Rock:

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a new blog! I can live vicariously through you (since my heart is still in dc)

    ReplyDelete